• Breaking News

    Sunday, June 21, 2020

    Half-Life Combine Advisor, but it's your college advisor

    Half-Life Combine Advisor, but it's your college advisor


    Combine Advisor, but it's your college advisor

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 06:13 AM PDT

    Me, loading up Garry's Mod in 2009:

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 11:45 AM PDT

    Happy Father's Day!

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 11:11 AM PDT

    My Lego technic Dodge Charger from Ep. 2

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 03:27 PM PDT

    Based Gman

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 08:09 PM PDT

    My friend just finished half life 2 and this is what he said

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 07:55 PM PDT

    Turrets wildin'

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 09:49 AM PDT

    We'll see about that...

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 07:29 PM PDT

    Was playing buu's fury and found this reference

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 10:25 AM PDT

    After a lot of rage and tears, they are finally done

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 03:08 PM PDT

    Half-Life 2 but everyone is G-man

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 02:31 PM PDT

    Dev Textures in Nova Prospekt

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 10:24 PM PDT

    why does the nova prospekt look like a person on a seat

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 02:56 AM PDT

    (POV) You have your fists clenched

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 07:55 PM PDT

    "Good mornin,Good afternoon,Good evening and GOOD NIGHT SHIFT!"

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 02:40 PM PDT

    This was a picture I drew a few months ago because I'm too lazy to get a drawing program for my pc. Hope you like it?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 07:51 PM PDT

    G-man council

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 09:00 PM PDT

    I tried my best drawing a headcrab hope ypu like it

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 04:55 AM PDT

    Damn this hurt more than Eli getting deaded by a hunter

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 06:35 PM PDT

    I just finished Hunt Down The Freeman...

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 11:12 AM PDT

    As the title says, I jumped down the deep, dark rabbit hole that is HDTF.

    This going to be long, so beware, and if there are times I don't make sense, its mostly because English isn't my first language, and because I was just writing without much structure; I just wrote whatever came to mind.

    It will take about 5 minutes to read it.

    Prologue:

    I've played all Half-Life games except Alyx, and I love them all; and after playing through the entire series for at least the 100th time, I wanted more Half-Life, or at least something similar. I've asked a friend of mine if he knew something that would quench my thirst, and lessen the pain of waiting for more than a decade for Half-Life 3. With a smile I didn't understand at the time, He told me of this game. Hunt Down The Freeman. He was kind enough to let me play it from his steam account, so I didn't have to buy it (I STILL can't thank him enough for that).

    Next thing I knew, I was back in Black Mesa, albeit a little bit different than I remembered.

    This post is meant to tell of my experiences with this "game", and maybe a way to calm, and convince myself, that I haven't gone completely mad.

    As I started playing the game, it has become apparent to me, that I'm about to have a BAD TIME.

    Game Mechanics:

    Aside from never knowing what to expect from the game, I never fully understood what the game was expecting from me; I've spent hours at a time, trying to get past the strider, and before that, spending quite a lot of time gunning down "Beta Combine" with the machine gun, because I didn't know that I was supposed to run instead of fighting. I noticed quite a bit of difference between a lot of weapons, some were quite high quality, while others looked like they were made of milk carton. Aside from the gigantic empty spaces, and places that had no meaning whatsoever (I was hurt by them pretty badly, as I like exploring every inch of most games, to find secrets, extra guns and ammo, etc.) I noticed that MAYBE the levels were getting better? I guess?

    Some Brownie points:

    Towards the end, the prison, and the forest after that was pretty well-made, and there were some instances, where the game actually rewarded me for exploring (finding the axe after the factory part,(I was SO pissed when the game decide to take it away from me, along with some other weapons throughout the game that I've found!) and the different strange and unnerving sights in the foggy forest). The forest itself had some great atmosphere; zombies everywhere, and trees, I was half expecting to see Slenderman as well, haha.

    I give plus point to the devs, because of the part in Black Mesa East: I actually felt like the bad guy, mowing down the Resistance members with a pistol and an AK. The last mission, where I made a last stand against the Combine, although it lacked variety in enemy types, it had some pretty great concepts too, like the appearance of the snipers, and that the turrets started breaking down, it made me rethink my strategy, and gave a little bit of gameplay, that I didn't see anywhere else in the game before.

    I was just about to pick up a grenade and throw it back to the soldiers when it blew up, and I was surprised since I wasn't expecting at all what came next. An ending cutscene. I found it pretty interesting that they cared enough to give it another ending, in case the player was unable to finish the final level. quite clever, but not enough to save the game. The ending itself (the one where I was able to finish it) was pretty great. Michell finally got his revenge, and I've felt as if he wanted to make it up to Gordon in a way, that he wanted to kill him and everything for so much time, as Nick, asked for his orders, and he told him to turn the ship towards Borealis ( even tho he had no way of knowing of it unless, in that brief moment, G-man offered him another deal (tho it would be out of character for him to accept it after everything he and Adam but him through.)) The final level's music tho, damn. It was good. like it was a scene from some kinda movie, with the MC gunning down baddies, and just hopelessly trying to cling to life.

    I was playing it on Hard mode, figuring I played enough Half-Life that I should do fine, as I'm familiar with the way the NPCs act, and how the weapons worked. The weapons themselves were pretty bad, even if they looked swell. they were mighty useless against zombies, but surprisingly good against most combine, seeing that they almost all died with a single shot to the head by a pistol. The machete was the worst of them all. Before, I was knifing zombies and manhacks left and right, but with the machete, it was a pain. The sound effects were nerve-wracking as well; stabbing a wooden box with a knife sounded like I was stabbing concrete/metal. The enemies seemed so confused in a lot of cases like they themselves didn't know what to do. Why, I remember back in Half-Life 2, in Ravenholm, fast zombies were able to jump through glass, and just generally rushed through anything just to get to me. In this case, however, their A.I. was too confused, and they got stuck in trees, doors, and sometimes half-walls.

    The wort parts:

    The "New Alaska" part. Yikes. Dodging sniper bullets, killing antlions while having very little ammo and health, it was a nightmare. I was so on-edge, when I started hearing and seeing hunters, (even tho they never appeared to fight, just like the helis) since I knew I didn't have enough ammo to kill even one of them.

    The climbing/parkour mechanic:

    It took me an hour to figure out that I'm supposed to holster my weapon to climb up to surfaces I couldn't just jump up to.

    The climbing of pipes took a lot of time as well, like didn't anyone tell the devs that they should make it faster by the testers? (There were testers, right?)

    It seemed to me that the game was mostly just the game spamming enemies at me, while I was trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do.

    Since I don't want to spend all night raving about this game, I'll end it here with a few last thoughts.

    Overall, it wasn't the worst experience I had with games, but it is sure as hell among them. After I finished it, I went to find out what people on the internet thought of it, and they were just generally pissed.

    IMO? It clearly had many flaws, some, that would be forgiven if it was a way older game.

    It wasn't that bad, but is it worth its price? Hell no.

    If it were a free-to-play game, I'm sure people wouldn't have given so much crap to the devs and the people involved in creating the game.

    I'd recommend it to people who want to get into creating a game, to see what not to do when creating a game.

    submitted by /u/HardGTheUnsettling
    [link] [comments]

    Remove kebab but it's Half-Life

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 07:32 AM PDT

    If you missed the charity livestream yesterday, you missed this magical moment.

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 09:41 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment